Monday 6 May 2013

Oven cooked Rhubarb or Rhubarb compote

I just LOVE rhubarb and it's one of the things that I look forward to the most when spring is here.



As I moved into my house here in Bayern last year it was therefor a huge surprise to find rhubarb growing in my garden along with many other fruit bushes.
I have eaten many really nice rhubarb cakes and tarts as a child but I needed a way to quickly cook my fast growing rhubarb that would suit the family(we love any jam with Greek yogurt on bread)...and nothing to complicated or time-consuming.
I like my rhubarb to stay in shape but to be slightly soft and sweet(but not over-sweet).
If you find that I add to little sugar or that the rhubarb should be cooked more then you can just add more sugar and extend the cooking time by 5-10 minutes.


Ingredients;

  • 500 g Rhubarb cut into 1-2 cm chuncks
  • 150-200 g sugar

Method;

First of all pre-heat the oven to 180C/360F

Cut the rhubarb, wash them well and spread them out in an ovenproof tray, that will be easy to cover with silver foil. 
Then cover the rhubarb with the sugar and gently shake to ensure that the sugar coats the rhubarb chunks all the way to the bottom of the tray.
Simply cover the tray with silver foil and place in the hot oven for about 35 minutes.

After removing the rhubarb from the oven you must leave the fruit to cool down whit the silver foil covering the tray.
Once the rhubarb is cold please pour into a clean container and keep in the fridge. 
I find that it stays fresh in a normal container for up to 2 weeks.



No comments: