Thursday 29 November 2012

Danish salmon fish cakes “Fiskefrikadeller”


The Danish word “Frikadeller” covers pretty much any kind of meat that has been through a blender, mixed with other ingredients and then turned into a meatball and fried on a pan.

I myself am not the biggest fish eater...yes it is true that I grew up in a country surrounded by the sea so I should, but honestly the only reason why I started making these fish “Frikadeller” was because my children and especially my daughter LOVES them...and now I do as well.

In Denmark it’s rather normal to buy the mix for the fish “Frikadeller” at the Fishmonger, but as I have not lived in Denmark since the late 90th I have not really enjoyed this luxury. 
I therefore buy the fish and blend it myself as in this recipe.

I choose to only use Salmon as it blends easier than Cod, which is also normally used in this mix.



(Good idea to have a glass of cold water
standing near the cooker for re-dipping)
Ingredients:

500 g (1.1 lb) Salmon (without the skin...obviously)
2 Eggs
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp flour
1 bundle of chive
1 bundle dill
3 tsp capers
The zest from ½ a lemon
2 ½ dl (1 Cup) cooking cream



Blend the fish with salt in a food-processor, then add the eggs.
Add the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture is smooth(I do add the Capers last to ensure that they are still somewhat whole)


Melt butter or margarine in a frying pan. 
Use a spoon or two dipped in water to spoon the mix onto the frying pan and fry them until golden.



We like to eat these with a good quality rye bread, salad, freshly squeezed lemon juice...or if in Denmark it's enjoyed with the Danish Remoulade.





No comments: